Saturday, September 6, 2014

Pienza


I'm spending my last days of holiday in Tuscany, at my parents house in the country near Florence. Yesterday I was in Pienza, a little town in Val d'Orcia that was conceived as an ideal town in its balance and proportions. Enea Silvio Piccolomini, better know as Pope Pio II, had his native village of Corsignano rebuilt to embody in the urban form the humanistic idea of the architect Leon Battista Alberti; the work was supervised by Bernardo Rossellino. The focal point of Pienza is the trapezoidal main square which is defined by four buildings: the Duomo, Palazzo Piccolomini, Palazzo Comunale and Palazzo Vescovile. Palazzo Piccolomini is one of the most beautiful building of Renaissance, enhanced by an interior courtyard and an italian garden on the south side, looking out over Val d'Orcia to Monte Amiata in the distance. It was a really hot day, perfect to wear a fresh printed mini dress from and wedge espadrillas. This dress is perfect for day-to-day wear and just my cup of tea. The design is so understated and verging on minimalistic, but the beautiful print adds an extra element to the simplicity. I’m such a sucker for the cut and the way the textile drapes on the model. And most importantly, this kind of style matches my taste. 

Topshop dress / Castaner espadrilles